I never planned this race, Maya asked our swimming squad to sign up for this race one month before the D-Day as she’d be doing relay with Mas Emir ( her boss ) and Adhit (her spouse).
Some signed up as relay team (so there were 3 relay team among us) and some considered individual. i check my training plan, it suit me well. i had to do Tri Race simulation – Olympic Distance. But later I changed my mind. I refused the hustle bringing my own bike, I’d rent instead. They had 2 choices Road Bike and Mountain Bike, I opted the later. Simply, because it is 50 SGD cheaper! Ha ha! So I downgraded to Sprint Distance.
So, Singapore Triathlon 2019 was my second attempt doing Sprint Distance, officially.
Sunday, Sept 27th 2019
We woke up not so early. I learned that transition area would not be closed during the race. The regulation quite loose compare to other Multisports Events I’ve joined. We even put our bike on the D day.
So we arrived early to East Coast Park, I took my bike and proceeded to transition area, showing my wrist band.
Then Manda ( I often called her Sapi Bule) and were looking for toilet, do the “business” and lined up to get our body marked. And it was soooooo long. The committee seemed inefficient. And it wasn’t body marking with stamp, they used Black Marker (alias spidol). Meh!
Then we grouped with others, waiting for our wave. Female Sprint Category had the latest wave, at 9:05 Singapore Time.
The current was uneasy, I saw many longer distance participant carried away from the track then they were evacuated by boat. I thank God I didn’t sign up for OD!!!
Not until 9.15 am, that it was finally our turn, the last wave. Here’s the recap:
- Soon as I entered the water, as predicted and expected, i got kicked on my head. Oooo I hate swimmers who did breast stroke during the first few mins!
- Seeing previous participants carried away by current, i paid attention to the rope on my left, so I’d swimming in the right path! I’m a-right-sided- swimmer. I take breath better on my right, so it was challenging for me to take breath from left side.
- Few mins later, I heard people cried for help and F word! I told you wave and current was uneasy. Everybody hanging on rope so I lost the sight of the rope. I freaked out!!!!
- I swam harder, man this wasn’t easy! I shallowed sea water and I puked!
- Until there were three girls in front of me, TALKING! One of them told me “you can overpassed me, she’s drowning”. God fordemit!! How Can I passed you guys when I’m not even moving!!!
- I saw my watch and it said it was already 600 m but I was stillllll farrrr from the sea shore! I almost cry! I haven’t make the last turn to the sea shore.
- Just to cut story short, i swam almost 1K for almost 50 mins! My worst speed!!
Adil, took my pic and gave my glasses. He was suppose to take pics of other participants, but he stuck with me hahahah! I asked him to get my glasses ready and when I’m done with my swim. I didnt use contact lens.
- I ran to transition area, and heard my name was called.
- I saw Thea, Adhit and Dondok and said to myself, Thea done with the bike? She must rode very fast! Because I know Astrid is a fast Swimmer To note: astrid – thea – ali doing relay OD. Dondok – vita – Kunthi doing SD relay.
- I put helmet on, my running shoes and cursed I didn’t bring baby powder with me. I used powder to reduce the water from my wet feet.
- Bike Track was a-6-Km lap. So i must rode 3 lap and it was hooooorrrrrriiibbleeeee! The bike was heavy and I wasn’t familiar with the bike. Hard for me to change the gear.Huh! I’ll never do Tri race with MTB again! Lucky I only did 18K! My thighs and my feet were tired. And I don’t have my bidon (bottle) either. I forgot to bring one.
- But on second note, I noticed that Singapore Triathlete are sooo humble! Even the longer distance participant don’t wear fancy brand. Few of them were riding with their running shoes and running jersey. They don’t have expensive bike either. If the race was held in Indonesia, I bet the suits, shoes, etc could cost up to 700 Dollar! Head to Toe orang Indonesia, pasti merek mahal! Ngga usah bahas sepeda!
- Well, I planned to ride with in an hour, considering it was MTB and not my bike, but I did better than that!
- Here come my weakest leg, RUNNING! Oh my GOD seemed it took forever to do 5K run at 11 am Singapore Time!!!!
- But I managed to walk-jog-walk-jog….and….did the run below 45 mins (within my target of 8:30mins / K)
Later I found, Astrid got sea sick. So Thea haven’t do the bike when I saw her in transition area. Made it even worse, she got flat tyre twice! And only did 4 laps (instead of 6). But Ali ( the runner) allowed to Run. See? The event was loose. Hahahahah i also learned that the evacuated swimmers are still allowed to continue the race. Well ya whatever! I was there for fun!